NZ Housing summit
A high-powered line-up of speakers will lead off the first New Zealand Housing Summit on Saturday 16 April.
New Zealand Housing Summit
The Summit will confront the housing crisis for low and middle-income families and the government’s refusal to take effective action to tackle the crisis.
The joint chairs of the Summit are:
· Prue Kapua – President of the Maori Women’s Welfare League and
· Efeso Collins – Chairperson of the Otara-Papatoetoe Community Board
The issues the Summit organising committee has identified as needing the most urgent action are:
• Stopping the sale or transfer of state houses
• Creating a Bill of Rights for all tenants
o Ensure tenure – end 90 day evictions
o A warrant of fitness for all rentals without displacement of tenants
o Rent controls
· Building more state houses without displacement of existing tenants
In each of these areas the government is moving in the opposite direction and selling off its responsibility to ensure every New Zealander has a high quality, affordable home.
The New Zealand Housing Summit will take place on Saturday 16 April from 10am to 4.30pm at the Western Springs Garden Community Hall on Great North Road (opposite Motions Road), Auckland.
Media are welcome to report on this important event.
· John Minto – State Housing Action Network
· Mike Treen – Unite Union
· Janfrie Wakim – Child Poverty Action Group
· Jean Brookes – Anglican Social Justice Network
· Janet Robin – West Auckland
· Nick Merrington – Tamaki Housing Group
· Vanessa Kururangi – Tauranga Housing Group
· Tim Selwyn – Opotiki
· Penny Bright – Auckland