Public Meeting: Stop the GCSB Bill
A wide range of speakers demanding “Stop the Bill” at the Auckland Town Hall, 7pm, Monday August 19
The Coalition to Stop the GCSB Bill has organised a public meeting at the Auckland Town Hall for next Monday 19th August at 7pm.
The meeting follows the very successful public meeting a fortnight ago at the Mt Albert War Memorial Hall where an overflow crowd heard speakers call the bill a threat to our fundamental freedoms.
This second meeting has been timed for the evening before the GCSB Bill is reported back to parliament and the speakers confirmed so far reflect the strong and widespread opposition to the bill.
The aim is to fill the Auckland Town Hall, 7pm Monday 19 August, to tell the government they have gone too far. If you only attend one event this year make it this the one.
Confirmed speakers so far are:
· Dr Rodney Harrison QC (presented the Law Society submission on GCSB Bill)
· Kim Dotcom (the most high profile victim of illegal GCSB spying)
· Jon Stephenson (journalist and war correspondent)
· Seeby Woodhouse (Founder of Orcon ISP and 2004 NZ Young Entrepreneur of the Year)
· Helen Kelly (CTU President)
· Professor Jane Kelsey (Law Faculty Auckland University)
· Marama Davidson (Maori activist and blogger)
· Russel Norman (Green Party Leader)
· Winston Peters (NZ First leader)
· Hone Harawira (Mana Party Leader)
· Nicky Hagar (investigative journalist)
- David Shearer (Labour Party)
Such is the interest the meeting will also be streamed live on the Daily Blog at www.thedailyblog.co.nz