Submissions wanted: imminent rebellion 14—special ANZAC issue
To coincide with the vomit-inducing glorification of state violence that is the ANZAC centenary, Rebel Press is putting together a special issue of imminent rebellion focusing on World War One and nationalism, militarism & imperialism.
The Rebel Press collective is currently putting the finishing touches on imminent rebellion 13—due out at the end of November.
Meanwhile we’ve started planning for issue 14. To coincide with the vomit-inducing glorification of state violence that is the ANZAC centenary, we’re putting together a special issue of imminent rebellion focusing on World War One and nationalism, militarism & imperialism. To counter the hegemonic accounts of the War, we want to provide a space for alternate histories and analysis of both World War One itself and of New Zealand and Australian nationalism, militarism and imperialism more broadly.
We’re interested in a variety of a content including radical analysis, histories, personal experiences, poetry, fiction, book reviews, photo essays, comics, and illustrations. We prefer submissions to be kept under 5000 words. Artwork needs to look good reproduced in black and white on a small scale.
Some topics to consider include:
- Accounts of World War One from perspectives that are usually ignored: Māori, Aboriginal peoples, Torres Strait Islanders, migrants, women, pacifists/socialists/anarchists
- New Zealand and Australian imperialism in the Pacific
- New Zealand and Australia’s role in upholding US imperialism (Afghanistan, Iraq, Waihopai spy base)
- The Impact of WW1 and the war on terror on domestic politics then and now
- The WW1 narrative as a nation-building project
- Who does the dominant narrative of New Zealand and Australian national identity include and who is excluded?
- Does the nationalist narrative erase the legacies of colonisation?
- Feminist history of New Zealand and Australia’s wars
The deadline for submissions is 23 January 2015. We would appreciate expressions of interest by December 15. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About imminent rebellion
imminent rebellion is an anarchist journal that seeks to illuminate struggles and projects that bring us closer to an anarchist society. Previous issues are available for free download from www.rebelpress.org.nz